The Palace Cinema - Beeston - a photographic record
The Picture Palace (as it was named originally) on the High Road, Beeston - soon after its opening in 1913.
To its left, on the corner
of Wollaton Road, is a branch of the Nottingham & Nottinghamshire Banking Company, which had been built in 1908
- and which was taken over by Westminster
Bank in 1919 and is now part of National Westminster Bank.
The two shops - 21 & 23 High Road - are now nowadays merged into one as Fred Hallams'
greengrocers but were then separately occupied, with John Draper, a butcher, probably at number 21.
The Picture Palace in about 1935, just before it was rebuilt.
It then featured a large poster board to the right of the entrance and was then showing
"Nell Gwyn" (staring Anna Neagle & Sir Cedric Hardwicke) which was released in 1934.
The bank on the corner was then a branch of Westminster Bank and the two shops were occupied respectively by J A Marlow and (probably) Fred Hallam
The Palace after it had been rebuilt on the site of the Picture Palace in 1935.
It was then showing "Turn of the Tide" (staring John Garrick & J Fisher White) which was released in 1935.
The stylish interior of the rebuilt Palace - looking towards the screen from the balcony.
Although this shows the shape of the 1935 rebuild, this and all the interior photographs (except the paybox) were taken after the 1947 redecoration
Another view of the rebuilt Palace auditorium, showing the balcony,
The paybox in the rebuilt Palace (shown left) - which was centrally situated in a spacious foyer.
The Lounge (shown right) was a new feature in the rebuild, provided a waiting area for the balcony.
The Palace in its last days - about 1960.
It closed on 20th February of that year and the site was then redeveloped and first occupied by Burton's
Supermarket - though a more set back building line was used.
It is now occupied by W H Smith book shop and Dorothy Perkins dress shop.
The first and last of these photographs are from David Hallam's collection. All others were kindly provided by Leslie Allsop.
© David Hallam - 2010
Close this window to continue