The Palladium Cinema - Beeston - a photographic record
The Palladium cinema, soon after it opened in January 1914
The shop to the left of the entrance appears not yet to have been let and is being used to
advertise the film being shown - which appears to be "60 Years a Queen", made in 1913, starring Blanche Forsythe
The Palladium cinema, part of the street scene, viewed from near the top of Regent Street.
Another view of the Palladium cinema, showing its proximity to the Durham Ox and Greyhound pubs.
The interior of the Palladium - with painted murals, plaster mouldings and 'Chinese' lanterns.
The Palladium in its last days - about 1959. It closed on 18th April of that year and the site was then redeveloped.
'Silent Enemy (starring Laurence Harvey), released in March 1958, is showing.
The large poster board on the front was
probably a relatively late addition as it is not seen on the earlier photographs.
The letters spelling out the word "TALKIES"
can be seen on the ends of the facade - these dated from 1930 when the Palladium was the first in Beeston to show sound films
The sweet and tobacco shop to the left is occupied by Tom Cox - as it had been since before the War.
The shop on the right was occupied by Nicholson's as a wireless, television and electrical shop.
The second and third of these photographs are from David Hallam's collection. All others were kindly provided by Leslie Allsop.
© David Hallam - 2010
Close this window to continue