Beeston Silver Prize Band
This successful local band was formed in April 1929. Its first engagement was in the same month, at the Beeston Charity Cup Final held
at the Beeston Lads' Club Ground.
The bandmaster at that time was Mr H Ledger and the percussionist was Fred Nutt - who went on to become the Bandmaster.
At first, the band practised in the old Liberal Club on Station Road, Beeston but, after this was demolished, it moved to the Commercial Inn on Wollaton Road.
The band had some competition successes, particularly during the 1930s, and was the winner at the Leicester Band Festival in 1936.
After disbanding during the war years,
when many of the young players served in the Armed Forces, some sadly
not to return, the band was reformed in 1947 and continued performing at park concerts in the local area
This picture was taken in 1931, in the grounds of the Manchester Unity on Middle Street - which ultimately became "The Cow at Beeston" pub before it was
demolished to become the site for the Tesco petrol station.
Standing - Top Row: Lockwood, McIntosh, Joe Fern, Ted Chambers snr., Ted Chambers jnr, Fred Stewart, Bill Cobb, Robertson, Harry Blagden
Standing - 2nd Row: Bill Cobb (Band Secretary), Don James, Den Reardon, W Lucas snr, Stan Smith, Jack Smith, Frank Ricahrds, Roberts, W Lucas jnr.
Seated: Arthur Johnson, Amos Argyll, T Winters snr., Ted Whitby, F Winters jnr, Jack Clay, Shaw
In Front: Joe Noon, Fred Nutt
Position your mouse pointer on any face to show the name
The Beeston Band egistrating for the Midland Area, National Brass Band Championship at the Albert Hall, Nottingham, in February 1948 or 1949
Photograph supplied by Robert Singleton whose late father, Wilmot E ("Bill") Singleton, is facing, at the back, left of the tuba
Bill played in a number of other bands in the area, besides Beeston Silver Prize Band
Freddie Nutt, the band's percussionist, is standing at the back, second from the left
The band's letterhead
Programme for a charity concert by Beeston Silver Prize Band
held at the Majestic Cinema, Beeston in the early days of World War 2
The cinema's owner, Max Nepolsky (who had recently developed
the Cliftonside Estate in Beeston Rylands) was the Chairman
Any further suggestions for names or other information would be most welcome
Close this window to continue