Home    Topics    Memorials    Miscellany    Transcripts    References    Family History    Glossary    Latest    Beeston Blog    About us          Site Search   

The ForgeInns & PubsWar MemorialsThe High RoadSchoolsCinemasHousingFire StationBack to All Topics
Choose a Feature
Pop-up notes are active on this page - Click any note number to view

Church Street School - Staff List - Compiled by Wallace Mason

This history of Church Street School, and the associated history of Beeston Fields School, were written by Wallace Mason in 2007 and 2006 respectively.
They were published originally on the BBC h2g2 site but, as they are no longer available from that source, he has kindly made the accounts available here. The research and text are entirely his.

This Guide Entry provides a list of teachers at the Church Street Schools from 1883 to 1957 together with dates and other information where available. The information is largely abstracted from the log books and is for the most part a simple list of names and dates. The log books covering the period after 1957 are not available in the Archives, hence the cut-off date. It should also be noted that the infants’ school log book for 1902 to 1926 is missing and there are no log books for the junior girls’ school after 1924. The boys’ school log books readily lend themselves to this exercise, being very detailed. The log books of the infants’ and girls’ schools, especially the girls’, are hard work; dates in particular are in short supply though attendance figures are well reported.

The list does not claim to be complete and may not be fully accurate ; for the most part 1, short-stayers, supply teachers and students are omitted, though some may be included.

To return to the Main Guide Entry click on Church Street School - a brief history.

Words in inverted commas are taken verbatim from the log books. Teachers known to the author are highlighted in bold text

NOTE TO THE READER - If you loved your old school (or even if you didn’t) and have memories to share or if you have anything to say about this Guide Entry, get in touch with David Hallam via his Exploring Beeston’s History. Keep the memory alive.

Staffing and Salaries

On 4th December 1882, at a meeting of the Beeston School Board, it was proposed, seconded and carried that: ‘Mr Mills continue as headmaster of the boys’ school at Ł140 pa, Mrs Dickinson, mistress of the infants’ school for Ł70 pa and Miss E Pettener, mistress of the girls’ school’. An advertisement was placed for monitors for the infants’ school at Ł60 pa - the monitorial system (qv).

At the age of 13, brighter youngsters would be appointed Pupil Teachers (PT). After five years satisfactory service the PT could go to college to qualify and become a Certified Assistant (CA) or might continue teaching but as an uncertified (unqualified) assistant (UCA).

Infants’ School Staff List

Alice Agnes Hammond: 1st February 1926 to 30th October 1940. Headmistress. Succeeded by Miss Carlin (see below).
Alice Newbold: 1st January 1885 to 8th November 1929. Deputy Head. ‘Compelled to resign owing to ill health...arthritis’.
Miss or Mrs Hephzibah Richmond: 1st January 1925 to 30th October 1931 when she was appointed head of the temporary school at Glebe Street.
Margaret Wilson: 1st September 1925 to 4th October 1934 when she ‘died in Burton-on Trent after a long illness’.
Helen Jessie Durant: 7th January 1924 to 19th December 1947 when (aged 55) she ‘retired after 24 years service in the school’.
Elizabeth Buxton: 1st October 1923 to 24th December 1927 when she took a position with Nottm education Committee.
Irene Bowler: 1st October 1924 to 30th August 1931. ‘Left to be married’.
Gertrude Veronique Guimaraes: 1st September 1930 to 31st July 1932. Lenton Abbey Infants’.
Ruth Brown: 1st September 1931 to ? and again from 29th October 1934.
MM Scott: 2nd October 1933 to 31st August 1936. ‘resigned on account of marriage’.
Miss H Adams:11th December 1946 to ?
Miss DM Hodgett: 24th February 1947 to ?
Barbara (?) Beresford: 6th October 1947 to ?
J Bertram: 25th April 1948 to 30th July 1954. Fairfield Junior School, Stapleford.
Mrs E K Whyatt: no dates given.
Mrs AL Henshaw: no dates given.
Mary Celia Taylor, nče Stallard: 5th January 1948 to 30th July 1953. Resigned.
Elsie Smith: 15th February to 24th April 1950 for temporary headship of Standhill Road Infants’, Carlton.
Hilda Adamson: no start date to 31st October 1947. Died 20th January 1948. Miss Carlin attended the funeral.
Dora Mercia Hodgett: 24th February 1947 to ?
Frances Wetton, nče Nadin: 9th June 1947 to 25th February 1949 (resigned).
Dorothy Annie Brown: resigned 19th December 1947.
Mavis Dorothy Baker: 5th January 1948 to 31st July 1952.
Constance Marjorie Carlin: headmistress from 1st October 1940 when she succeeded Miss Hammond. On 14th December 1949, Miss Carlin had an operation in the General Hospital, Nottingham. During January 1950 she was out of school for one hour each day for ‘deep X-Ray treatment’, after which she returned to duty. In July 1956, she visited a specialist and had emergency treatment (an injection in her jaw) at the ‘Pay Bed’ unit of the General Hospital. In October 1956 she had an operation at the Pay Bed unit and a further operation on 8th January 1957. She died in hospital 14th January 1957. She was 58 2 Miss Carlin was succeeded by Mrs Bradbury (see below).
Winifred Rosamond Pealling: 3rd May 1945 to 9th December 1949. Resigned.
Elizabeth Tansley, nče ?: 8th October 1945 to ?
Martha Bradbury, nče Lowe: Mrs Bradbury seems to have spent most of her working life at the school, popping in and out of the log books first as a student and then doing duty as supply before taking a permanent position. She was made temporary headmistress on 8th January 1957 when it was clear Miss Carlin was unlikely to return (see above). Her appointment as head was made permanent after Miss Carlin died later that month.
Mrs Offiler: no dates. A log book entry for 7th January 1953 reads: ‘Richard Akers sent home after a fall in the playground accompanied by Mrs Offiler’. Other than this cryptic and tantalising clue, there is no record of Mrs Offiler 3.

Junior Girls’ School Staff List

Staff present 1st April 1924:

A Greenslade, head.
H Kitch, CA.
DE Parker, CA.
MR McIlwrick, CA.
JE Scott, UCA.
V Beswick, UCA.
G Taylor, Student.
Lucy Waters and Kathleen Barnes, student teachers.
Emily Pepper: ? to 19th October 1908. Miss Pepper resigned on 28th May 1909 ‘after a long illness’, age 38.
Alice Greenslade: 7th November 1898 to 1930. She became headmistress 10th June 1909, ‘appointment to date from May 1909’. Retired in 1930 to be succeeded by Miss Bowman.
Miss Bowman: headmistress from 1930 to 1956 when she retired 4.
Annie Neale, nče Severn: 27th February 1899 to 1st May 1900. Returned 1st September 1903, no leaving date.
Edith Bush: 1st May 1902 to 8th April 1909. Miss Bush had a 1st Class diploma in cookery and laundry skills.
Violet Critchlow: 2nd September 1919 to 31st October 1920. UCA. Preliminary certificate gained in 1913 and 1914. Student.
Kathleen Coppock: 15th October 1920 to (no leaving date). Supply.
Henrietta Kitch: 1st April 1924 to (no leaving date given).
Dorothy Florence Fletcher: 6th June 1910 to (no leaving date). Distinctions in music and singing (Nottm University Day Training College).
Dorothy Hemsley: 24th January 1921 to 31st March 1924. Retired.
Mary Ryder McIlwrick: no dates given. Drawing and Drill certificates.
Gertrude Lowthian: 19th April 1909 to (no leaving date). 2nd Class diploma in cookery; 1st Class diploma in laundry.
Ada Maxfield: 2nd march 1894 to 24th April 1923 when she retired ‘after 27 years in this department’.
Dora Elizabeth Swift: 1st November 1904 to 8th January 1906. Transferred to Nether Street.

There are no log books archived for the junior girls’ school after 1924.

Junior Boys’ School Staff List

In 1881, the boys’ department of the old National School 5 had a headmaster, a certified assistant and a monitor – attendance 95 boys in the morning, 100 in the afternoon out of a possible 150 6. On 28th March, the boys’ department was reopened (for reasons not given) with a complete change of teachers, the staff now consisting of:

J Edward Mills (Head Master), WH Whippey (CA) and Thomas Shrewsbury (Monitor). Mr Mills continued into the new Church Street boys’ school and was replaced by John Riley in 1886. Mr Riley was headmaster until his retirement in March 1924, when he was succeeded by George Henry Allsop who left on 29th August 1932 to be succeeded by Mr Arthur Cossons.

At his retirement in 1886, Mr Mills’ staff comprised:

William Smith, ex-PT about whom nothing else is recorded.
William Leigh Varnon, ex-PT. Mr Varnon was examined for certification in 1888 and qualified as CA. He left Church Street for a headship at Nether Street School 2nd May 1898.
Thomas Shrewsbury, 2nd year PT. Mr Shrewsbury passed his scholarship 2nd Class in 1887 and was expected to be taking up residence as a student at Cheltenham Training College in January 1888.
John Marshall, monitor.
Attendance at the boys’ school would be around 150 at this time.

In January 1892, the staff comprised:

John Riley, head.
John Francis Money, CA.
Charles Kirk, CA.
Augustus Dickson, CA.
Herbert Hargreaves, UCA.
James Bonser, ex-PT, UCA. Mr Bonser left the school in January 1901 for a post at Nether Street.
Edward Walter Kirkby, monitor, of whom the head commented that ‘his homework is not as satisfactory as it might be’.

Number of boys on the roll 191 7. Note the increase in staff numbers; note also the improved quality of the staff. This trend continues as the years roll on, PTs and monitors gradually becoming things of the past.

In January 1903, staff comprised:

John Riley, head.
Augustus Dickson, CA.
Herbert Hargreaves, possibly a CA by now.
Louis Hallam, UCA (?).
Frederick Ernest Ellis, CA. PT at St Matthias’, Nottm, took 1st year papers in 1899, 2nd year 1900, passed. Transferred to Nether Street in March 1924.
Ernest John Morrison, CA (?).
Edgar Lyman, ex-PT, sat scholarship examination July 1892, result not given.
Arthur Shacklock Elson, ex-PT, passed scholarship Christmas 1900.
Arthur Joseph Fawcett, ex PT, not examined for certificate.

In April 1924 Mr Riley retired (he was 65) to be succeeded by George Henry Allsop. Born on 11th November 1887, Mr Allsop joined the school as headmaster on 1st April 1924. His first log book entry reads: ‘From this date the school now consists of Standards II, III and IV, the classes being formed of former Nether Street and Church Street boys’.

The following staff had charge of the classes in 1924:>/p>

George Henry Allsop, headmaster.
Std IVa (23 Nether Street boys plus 20 Church Street boys): Mary Anne Hames, CA, supply teacher from Nether Street.
Std IVb (20 plus 23): John Thomas Medcalf, CA(?). Joined the staff in 1918, possibly a UCA.
Std IIIa (26 plus 26): Herbert Hargreaves, CA.
Std IIIb (29 plus 25): Arthur Cossons, CA.
Std IIa (31 plus 23): Elsie Gladys George, CA, supply.
Std IIb (27 plus 23): Ernest William Tansley, UCA. Mr Tansley left the school and the profession on 31st August 1929 to join the Wesleyan Ministry.

Which brings Arthur Cossons onto the scene.

Arthur Cossons

Arthur Cossons was born on 1st January 1893 in Taunton, Somerset. In 1891, his father, John, was employed as a hatter and hosiery worker in Taunton and had one son, William. By 1901 the family had moved to Chippenham, Wilts, and John Cossons was working from home as a clothier. By now he had two sons, William (10), Arthur (8) and a baby daughter, Marjorie 8.

Arthur Cossons was ‘recognised by the Board of Education as UC’ from 1st February 1922 9 and ‘gained an acting teacher’s certificate in 1924 with distinctions in arts, geography and rural science’. He was 29 years old on appointment at Church Street on 1st February 1922 and was lodging at the time with a Mrs Wilson, 77 Wollaton Road, Beeston. Of Arthur Cossons, the head writes: ‘Mr Cossons has no previous experience in practical teaching 10, he being a trainee after the war. My intention is to take his class at various times and give him the idea as to method...no doubt as time proceeds he will gain confidence’. Prophetic words: there is no similar statement in the log book regarding any other teacher at the school.

The school was now called Church Street Council School, Boys’ Department.

I Have Received the Keys Today

In January 1930, a head was required for the temporary junior school provided for children of the Lenton Abbey Estate whilst the Beeston Fields Schools were being built. Arthur Cossons was appointed to this position on 20th January and held it until 1932 when he was recalled to Church Street. On 29th August 1932, Mr Allsop left to be head of the new Beeston Fields Junior Boys’ School and Arthur Cossons was appointed head of Church Street Boys’ School. His triumphant first entry in the log book reads: ‘I have received the keys today.’

In 1932, the staff at the boys’ school comprised:

Arthur Cossons, headmaster.
Ronald Clifford Ablewhite.
Dorothy May Brammer, UCA lodging at 71 Marlborough Road.
Lily Booles, UCA. Miss Booles died 13th October 1933.
Walter Roy Corden.
Albert Herbert Fryer.
Kenneth Pearson, CA.

The War Years

There was much coming and going of staff in the war years, as men were called up for military service and short term temporary staff, mostly women, were drafted in to fill the gaps. Excluding short-stayers, supply etc, of whom there were many, staff at the school during the 1940s included the following:

Arthur Cossons, headmaster. At 46, Mr Cossons would be too old for war service 11.

Ronald Clifford Ablewhite. Mr Ablewhite came to Church Street on 29th August 1932 and served in the army from December 1940 to July 1946, when he returned to Church Street. He later went to Beeston Fields Junior Boys’ School.

Thora Sandford, nče Poole: 3rd December 1934 to 31st December 1942.
Charles Arthur Tomlinson: 4th April 1938 to 30th April 1941 when he transferred to Underhill Junior School, Barnet, Herts. He died on ‘Wednesday or Thursday, 8th or 9th July 1941. Cause not given.
George Candy: 29th August 1938 to 23rd June 1941 when he was conscripted into the Auxiliary Fire Service.
Gladys Mary Jollands, nče Clayton. Supply in June 1939, then permanent staff to 5th June 1940 when she resigned.
Donald Edward Arthur Raven: 31st August 1936 to 1st September 1939 when he joined the South Notts Hussars. He returned to the school on 3rd June 1946.

Lewis Harold Morley: 2nd October 1939 to 5th September 1939 when he left for the Royal Corps of Signals, returning 14th January 1946. He left Church Street 31st December 1954. Mr Morley is believed to have died in February 1991, aged 73.

Thomas Herbert Millington: 8th November 1937 to 4th June 1940 when he was ordered to report to the 57th Heavy Training Regiment (Royal Armoured Corps) at Swinton Barracks, Wilts. He returned to the school 2nd April 1946.

George Handley Tebbutt: 29th August 1938 to 25th July 1940 when he left for the RAF, returning to the school on 6th March 1946.
Laura Lander, nče Pugh: 6th January 1941 to 22nd October 1943.
Winifred Mary Sturt: 6th January 1941 to 7th February 1943 when she left to join Nottingham City Council (?). Miss Sturt ‘died as a result of enemy action’ 22nd May 1941.
William Martin Morris: 5th January 1942 to after 1957. Mr Morris was born in September 1905, which would have made him just eligible for military service, but he had a gammy leg which would have ruled him out. Mr Morris was an excellent teacher, especially of geography and history. Mr Morris is believed to have died in OND 1973, aged 68.

Iris Fairholm Hale, nče Guyler: 25th August 1942 to 31st October 1944. Miss Guyler transferred from Nether Street. She ‘married Mr E Hale in January 1943 whilst he was on leave after four years in the Middle East’.
Patrick Docherty: 14th December 1944 to 8th February 1946 when he ‘left the profession for laboratories at Spondon’.
Ruth Wadkin: 28th April 1944 to 28th August 1947 when she left for Limehurst Secondary Girls’ School, Dorset.

The post-war years to 1957

In a letter to HMI dated 20th September 1951, responding to criticism that ‘staff follow too rigidly the guidelines set by the headmaster’, Mr Cossons points out that to some extent this is necessary and is a consequence of three of his six staff being emergency trained 12. From information given in the log book, just two of those to whom Mr Cossons is referring have been identified.

Excluding short-stayers and supply teachers, the following staff were at the school at various times in the 1950s:

Arthur Cossons, headmaster from 29th July 1932 to 1958 when he retired 13.
Lewis Harold Morley: 2nd October 1939 to 31st December 1954. Mr Morley is believed to have died in February 1991, aged 73.
William Martin Morris (b. 1st September 1905): 5th January 1942 to after 1957. Mr Morris is believed to have died in OND 1973, aged 68.
Alfred James Elkin (b.18th September 1918): 5th January 1948 to after 1957. Mr Elkin attended what is referred to as an ‘Emergency College’. Mr Elkin married Fannie Edie Holland (see entry below) in OND 1946.
Ewan Rupert Powell (b. 21st October 1914): 15th march 1948 to 20th July 1953. Mr Powell taught at Beeston Fields Senior School in the late 50s.
Fannie Edie Elkin, nče Holland: 5th April 1948 to 30th July 1953 (Round Hill Junior Mixed).
Isaiah James Cox (b. 28th January 1917): 1st June 1948 to 17th April 1952 (London Road School, Notts). Mr Cox is believed to have died in March 2001, aged 84.
Frederick Darby Collins (b. 16th May 1912): 6th December 1948 to 25th July 1957 (Sunnyside School). Mr Collins was Emergency Trained. Mr Collins is believed to have died in JFM 1974, aged 61.
Violet Norah Challand, nče Pope: 2nd September 1952 to 5th January 1953 when the head was notified that she had left. She returned to the boys’ school on 23rd February 1953 and was still there in 1957.
W Jones: 17th April 1952 to after 1957.
Jean Webster King, nče Cross: 1st September 1953 (ex Round Hill junior Girls’) to 20th December 1957 when she ‘left to live in Cambridge’.
Mary Celia Taylor, nče Stallard: 1st September 1953 (ex Beeston Manor Infants’) to 20th November 1953 (supply?).
Maria Edna Sturt: 12th November 1953 to 22nd November 1953 (supply).

Sources and Acknowledgements

The History of Church Street Schools by Margaret E Cooper, published 2007
School Log Books: Document Reference:
SL10/2/1: 1881 – 1902 (infants’ school).
(Note: the log book for 1902 – 1926 (infants’ school) is listed as missing.)
SL10/2/2: 1926 – 1946 (infants’ school).
SL10/2/3: 1946 – 1957 (infants’ school).
SL10/2/4: 1881 – 1904 (junior girls’ school).
SL10/2/5: 1904 – 1924 (junior girls’ school).
(No record in the Archives of log books for the junior girls’ school after 1924.)
SL10/2/6: 1881 – 1903 (junior boys’ school).
SL10/2/7: 1903 – 1924 (junior boys’ school).
SL10/2/8: 1924 – 1940 (junior boys’ school).
SL10/2/9: 1940 - 1957 (junior boys’ school).

Thanks are due to the staff at the local history departments of Beeston and Nottingham libraries and the staff at Nottinghamshire Archives.

Footnotes - (Note: the respective footnote text may now be viewed in a pop-up window by clicking on any blue, underscored note number within the main text)
Where reference is made to the Probate Calender (Index giving brief details of grant of Probate/Administration), unless specifically stated, the full will and probate documentation has not been seen.
Scroll through the notes as required - or display them all by selecting expanded notes here

© Wallace Mason - 2007