Beeston Notes -
This page contains miscellaneous notes which provide supplementary infornation
which add to and support other pages on this site. They are grouped by topic so that
they can be targeted by links provided on other related pages. It would not be usual to read
the page in its own right.
(No notes currently included)
MARTIN John, Mary & Thomas : Additional epitaph on Churchyard Memorial:
Here Lays theire bodys Mouldering in the dust
Theire souls we hopes is placed Amongst the just
Let us lament ... in grief and sorrow
And Live today as if he to die to Morrow
Notes : Thomas Martin's date of death may read 1757 or 1737 although 1777 is in line with a baptism for a child
of that name in 1774 in Beeston. John Martin's year of death could read 1779.
|Richard HARWOOD's household in the 1841 Census|
|Beeston Rylands, Parish of Beeston, Notts. Piece 856 Folio 15-18|
|HARWOOD||Elizabeth ||30|| ||Notts|
|LANGFORD||Mary|| ||45|| ||Notts|
|PRESTON||Elizabeth|| ||17||Female Servant||Notts|
|HODKIN||Thomas||16|| ||Male Servant||Notts|
|BISHOP||Samuel||40|| ||Boatman||Outside Notts|
|Richard's brother Robert's household in the 1841 Census|
|Beeston Rylands, Parish of Beeston, Notts. Piece 856 Folio 15-17|
|HARWOOD||Ann ||40|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Ann|| ||10|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||John||8|| || ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Betsy|| ||6|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Mary|| ||4|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Ellen|| ||2|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Hariot|| ||10m|| ||Notts|
|William HARWOOD's household in the 1841 Census|
|Market Street, Parish of Beeston, Notts. Piece 856 Folio 14-43|
|HARWOOD||William||45|| ||Shoe Maker||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Sarah ||35|| ||Outside Notts|
|HARWOOD||Richard||12|| || ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Ann|| ||8|| ||Notts|
|HARWOOD||Charlotte|| ||3|| ||Notts|
Fred Reavill - extract from the Royal Humane Society Bronze Medal citations for 1911
"Case 38074 - At 9 p.m. on the 1st April, 1910, a young man and, young woman accidentally walked into the canal at
Beeston, the night being very dark. Frederick Reavill went in and saved the man, again going in, he tried to find the woman,
but failed, and she was drowned." (Quoted from the citations for 1911 transcribed at http://www.lsars.eurobell.co.uk/bronz11s.htm )
William Bower - a report in the Beeston Gazette of 1908 includes Wiliam in a list of prominent residents who contributed towards
the expense of a "tea for the children of the community" at the opening of the recreation ground ( probably Dovecote Lane). His contribution
was 5 shillings. Beeston Rylands Cricket Club scoresheets, given in the sports listings in the same year, include a B, M & A Bower, apparently the sons of
William and Amy (Barry Edward, Maurice and Ambrose).
William Bower - Boat Inn - Records at Nottinghamshire Archives of Brewster Sessions include plans of public houses. (Ref: C/PS/B/34/1-103)
Those for the period April - August 1932 include the Boat Inn, Beeston (Ref: C/PS/B/34/7). Unfortunately, these records have a 100 year block on access. As William
Bower died in 1935 by which time he had moved to 7 Trent Road which tends to indicated that he retired in or slightly before 1932 following which the rebuild took place.
ADVENTURES AT EAST RUNTON - This is how an article in the Beeston Gazette & Echo dated Saturday July 18th 1914 described
the events of the 17th Nottingham "Beeston" Battalion Boys Brigade annual camp from the 4th July to 11th July 1914.
The officers and members of the Beeston Lads Club spent a very delightful week in camp at East Runton, near Cromer. 114 of the members officers
and boys went down for one of the best weeks holiday that the company had enjoyed since its first camp in 1910.
The fatigue party under Lieutenant J. W. Adams and D. Pearson arrived on the campsite on Monday 29th June to be joined on the Wednesday by six more members
under the command of Staff-Sergeant James Martin.
The remainder of the Company left Beeston on Saturday 4th July at 2.25pm by train from the Midland Station arriving at Cromer at 7.20pm. two coaches were reserved for
their trip to camp from the Cromer station and the lads arrived in good spirits after their long journey.
East Runton lies a mile or so outside Cromer northwards and is typical of the beauty of the Norfolk coastline. The East Runton Football Club uses the campground during the winter
months and the soil is very sandy, any rainfall being absorbed at once making this an ideal spot for camp.
On Sunday two drumhead services were held, Captain R. M. Ling of the 1st Cromer Battalion Boys Brigade gave the address in the morning, the camp chaplain the Reverent Gooch conducted the evening service.
Bathing parades were held every morning before breakfast and were greatly enjoyed. Parades were also held to the Roman Encampment and Fellbrigg Woods and Cromer town and Mr Ling took the boys on a hike
through the beautiful countryside. To many of the group it was a delightful change from the sandy flats of Skegness where the lads had spent their previous camps.
West Runton Church was another visit. The church being one of the few sanctuary churches left in England, the ring of stone in the wall outside was carefully examined by all. Also by the kindness of the
caretaker the boys were allowed to go to the very top of the church from which a very pretty view was obtained.
After being dismissed from parades the boys were free to do, as they liked for the rest of the day, games of football and cricket were always in evidence and the six-a-side contests at
football were fought out very keenly. The Brass Band was much admired by the inhabitants of East Runton and the band, which was much appreciated, gave a concert to the local people.
Two football matches were played in both instances the company was on the losing side. They lost 3-1 to East Runton Football Club and to the 1st Cromer Brigade by 4-0.
Every officer and lad worked there hardest to make the camp a success. The camp was fortunate in securing the services of Captain S. S. Rhodes of the 18th Nottingham "Hucknall" Company Boys
Brigade whose advice and assistance was much appreciated. Mention should also be made of the willing help given by the ex B.B. members and now members of the newly formed Old Boy’s Club who went to camp
By their assistance at meal times etc in serving the company they materially lightened the officers work.
The company struck camp on the Saturday morning of July 11th and returned to Beeston by the 3.20pm train arriving there via Leicester ay 9.10pm. The company then marched to the square accompanied
on the pavements by many parents, and then were dismissed after "God Save the King" and the "Last Post" sounded by three selected buglers.
© David Hallam : 2003 - 2009