Memorials in Beeston -
Beeston Cemetery - Beeston Cemetery is situated
towards the northern end of Wollaton Road and was opened in 1886 in response to the problem of lack of space in the churchyard and the
demands of a growing population. A cemetery chapel is situated just inside the gate.
Today, the cemetery is owned, maintained and administered by Broxtowe Borough Council which holds the burial records. Details
of how and where enquiries should be made, can be found here.
These pages provide details of almost all surviving memorials - and some that no longer survive - within the older parts
of the cemetery. Most have been photographed and images will be available as data entry progresses.
Users of this index may wish to read the following notes to assist in getting the best use of the facility and to
find out about its scope and features.
What does it include ?
- every effort has been made to include all surviving memorials in the original section of the cemetery
as well as those in the first blocks of the extension. This is based on a transcription of the names, dates, ages and significant
wording on the memorials in the original cemetery, by David Hallam in 1985-86. A similar transcription of the older blocks in the extension was made in 2005. Further
memorials and additional inscriptions, mostly relating to subsequent burials, were found while photographing the memorials,
which started in about 2012. Linking the images to the index is now essentially complete for those memorials surviving in the original cemetery
sections. Those in the first section of the extension, left and right, are included in the transcription but have been only partly photographed and linked.
In summary, images may not display currently for the following reasons :
- an indexed memorial has been removed in the intervening period (which continues to happen as memorials become severely damaged)
Displaying & Searching
- the memorial is in Section X1 of the cemetery extension which has been only partially photographed
- the memorial is in Section X2 of the cemetery extension which has not yet been photographed
- a very few surviving memorials may have been missed during the photographing exercise - checking continues
- an option in the table header, allows for searching for any element (such as a surname) occurring in anywhere
in the inscription records. Simply, enter the required value and click the icon immediately to the right of the search box. Clicking on
the adjacent icon, furthest to the right restores the complete list. Columns can be ordered, first to last, by clicking any column heading or last to
first, by clicking a second time. Progressing through the pages and setting the page length can be actioned using the controls in the table footer.
Clicking in the + button on the left end of and displayed line, displays details of all persons recorded on the respective memorial. The heading
to this expanded display offers additional options to display details common to the memorial stone overall, any recorded or implied father, mother
or spouse and any available images.
: only information that is recorded on the memorial or can be implied from its wording, is recorded in the index. Although
most fields are self-explanatary, the following fields may need clarification:
- Birth years are based on the birth dates (where given) or the age, if given
- 'R' in the Ref Only field indicates that the entry does not derive from an inscription for the individual, but has been derived from a reference
in another inscription on the memorial (e.g. Mary Smith, wife of William - where no actual inscription for William appears)
- Note shows any significant recorded information relating to the individual. Notes relating to the memorial as a whole are recorded on the respective
- 'Stone' number is allocated by the system itself to identify a memorial stone or group of stones related a single grave. It has no external significance.
The 'Images of a Stone' option provides a list of one or more memorial images relating to the relevant grave, with links to display them
Locating the Memorials
- each 'stone' record records the block where the memorial was found within the cemetery. These 'blocks' are sections
within the cemetery bounded by paths and its overall boundaries. The original cemetery consists of three blocks each side of the central path with
margin strips on three sides. We have designated the blocks on the left side (facing from the main entrance) "Chapel Block', "Left Middle" and 'Left
Top". Those on the right side are designated "Right Bottom", "Right Middle" and "Right Top". Two of the margins have been designated "Wollaton Road Margin"
and "Beeston Fields Drive Margin" respectively (those in the Hillside Road margin are recorded currently in the main right side blocks but this may change).
Taken together, these blocks, comprise the original cemetery and extend as far as the gate onto Hillside Road. Beyond that, the cemetery has been greatly
extended, the first extension being made towards the end of the 1930s. Only the first section of this extension, designated "Extension - Block 1 - Left" and
Extension - Block 1 - Right" has been indexed currently.
In a few cases, where it appears on the memorial stone, the grave number is available. This may assist further in locating the memorial.
It should be noted that the location has been recorded where it was found when transcription took place. In some circumstances, this may not be the location
of the related grave. This applies particularly to urns, many of which have been moved to the Beeston Fields Drive margin.
Beeston Parish Churchyard - The churchyard of St John
the Baptist Church - Beeston's Parish Church - was the final resting place of local inhabitants from very early times.
Burials there are recorded in the Parish Registers since these records began in 1558 up until 1888 when the churchyard
was closed for almost all burials after the opening of the present cemetery in 1886.
During the 1960's the local Council took over the responsibility of maintaining the churchyard and repositioned the
memorial stones around the perimeter, alongside the north-east side of the church and on the south-west side of the chancel.
During the construction of the tram track, those on the north-east perimeter where removed and positioned elsewhere in the
churchyard, mainly set into the grass on the opposite side. Although the tram now skirts its north-east corner, the churchyard
continues to provide a pleasant oasis within the bustle of the town centre and has much of interest for those who take the time
This pages provides acess to details for all surviving memorials, the earliest of which is dated 1711. Most include a transcription, a
recent photograph and, where available, a link to the Burial Register.
Roll of Honour - the Great War - a Roll of Honour of the Fallen
from the Great War (World War 1) with a brief account of the life of many of the 273 recorded Beeston men who made the Supreme Sacrifice
in that terrible war.
© David Hallam 2005 -