Home    Topics    Memorials    Miscellany    Transcripts    References    Family History    Glossary    Latest    Beeston Blog    About us          Site Search   


Crimean WarBoer WarWorld WarsRoll of HonourBoys Brigade in WW1Other Landmarks
War Memorials



In Memory of
SAMUEL BAGSHAW
Private 23964
15th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Regiment
Who died on Sunday, 26th August 1917
Age 32

Buried Plot I. Row E. Grave 2
Tincourt New British Cemetery, Somme, France

Commemorated in Perpetuity
by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission
&
Remembered with Honour
Tincourt New British Cemetery

Tincourt New British Cemetery, Somme, France1

Samuel Bagshaw was born in Sneinton, Notts in about 1885, the son of Samuel & Elizabeth Bagshaw. In 1904, he married Mary Ann Riley and, it appears. they lived at various addresses, including Breaston and Long Eaton, Derbyshire and Radford, Nottingham where four children were born2. In April 1911, they were living at Main Road, Chilwell, Notts but appear to have moved again to live at 44 Oxford Terrace, Windsor Street, Beeston3. In 1911, Samuel was working as a self-employed window cleaner.

The Bantam Battalions were the brainchild of Albert Bigland MP, Chairman of Birkenhed City Recruiting Committee when he suggested that all able bodied men of below the qualifying height of 5’ 3" should be formed. By mid February 1915, a unit to be known as the 15th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters was formed in Nottingham by the Mayor and a committee, as an all "Bantam" battalion and joined the 105th Brigade 35th Division which was part of the No 6 Recruiting District. Samuel Bagshaw was one of the first to enlist when newly formed 15th Battalion Sherwood Foresters started recruiting in February 1915.

In June 1915, the 15th Battalion found themselves at Masham in Yorkshire where they became part of the 105th Brigade 35th all bantam division. After training at various camps in England the Division was sent to France in January 1916.

Private Bagshaw was involved in all the action and was lucky to survive the "Somme Battles" when on July 19th there were many casualties in the battalion. He was not however so lucky a year later; he was killed in action in a raid near Guillemont Farm,

In August 1917, approval was given early in the month for a major undertaking involving a raid on Gillemont Farm and the capture of a commanding position known as "The Knoll" and instruction was given to the 15th Battalion, as part of the 105th Brigade, to undertake this task. After extensive artillery fire the battalion advanced at 0400 hrs on the 19th August. When the barrage lifted and the battalion reached the enemy position they found the artillery had done their job and hand-to-hand fighting continued until the Germans were driven back. The assault was over in some fifteen minutes and by 0540 hrs the companies returned with their wounded and a few prisoners. Three of the wounded were at the hands of the Royal Flying Corps who machined gunned them down unaware they were firing at their own.4.

Private Bagshaw died about a week later, as a result of wounds received during this action and enemy shellfire. It was just before the battalion was due to be relieved by the 14th Gloucester Regiment. He is now buried in Tincourt New British Cemetery.

Tincourt New British Cemetery - Tincourt is a village about 7 kilometres east of Peronne and Tincourt New British Cemetery is on the west side of the village, just off the D199.

The villages were occupied by British troops in March, 1917, during the German Retreat to the Hindenburg Line; and from the following May until March, 1918, Tincourt became a centre for Casualty Clearing Stations. On the 23rd March, 1918, the villages were evacuated; and they were recovered, in a ruined condition, about the 6th September. From that month to December, 1918, Casualty Clearing Stations were again posted on the site of Tincourt. The cemetery was begun in June, 1917, and used until September, 1919; the few German burials, during their occupation of the village, are in Plot VI, Row A. After the Armistice it was used for the reburial of soldiers found on the battlefield, or buried in small French or German cemeteries. The graves of 136 American soldiers, buried here in the autumn of 1918, and one who died in December, 1917, and those of two Italian soldiers have been removed to other cemeteries. There are now nearly 2,000, 1914-18 war casualties commemorated in this site. Of these, over 250 are unidentified and special memorials are erected to seven soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia, known or believed to be buried among them. Other special memorials record the names of 21 soldiers from the United Kingdom, two from Canada, one from Australia and one from South Africa, buried in other cemeteries, whose graves were destroyed by shell fire. The cemetery covers an area of 6,149 square metres. The following were among the graveyards from which British graves were concentrated to Tincourt New British Cemetery:
 

Barleux French Military Cemetery No 2, between Barleux and Belloy-en-Santerre, containing the graves of two soldiers of the 1st Loyal North Lancs who fell in February, 1917.
Bernes Churchyard (near Roisel, in the Somme), which contained the graves of 18 soldiers from the United Kingdom, one Canadian, and 38 German.
Howitzer Wood Cemetery, Clere-Sur-Somme,a French cemetery in the Bois des Ourages, containing the graves of three soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia.
Jeancourt Indian Cemetery (close to Jeancourt Communal Cemetery), in which 15 Indian cavalrymen were buried in 1917 and to which 541 German graves were concentrated after the Armistice.
Le Mesnil Churchyard German Extension (at Le Mesnil-Bruntel), which contained the graves of ten soldiers from the United Kingdom and 150 German soldiers.
Le Verguier German Cemetery, near the Church, containing 292 German graves and those of five soldiers from the United Kingdom who fell in April, 1918.
Longavesnes British Cemetery, on the West side of that village, containing the graves of 19 soldiers from the United Kingdom and three American soldiers, who fell in September and October, 1918.
Magny-La-Fosse Churchyard Extension, made by an Advanced Dressing Station in October, 1918, and containing the graves of seven soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from Australia and three men of the Chinese Labour Corps.
Manancourt Churchyard, which was closed to civil burials in 1865 but was used by both sides in the War. It contained the graves of ten soldiers from the United Kingdom and one from South Africa.
Marquaix German Cemetery, on the North side of that village, containing the graves of ten soldiers from the United Kingdom, one French and 338 German.
Peronne Communal Cemetery German Extension, containing the graves of 25 British and 824 German soldiers.
Ramicourt Communal Cemetery Extension, made by the Germans and taken over in October, 1918, by the British. It contained the graves of ten soldiers from Australia and one from the United Kingdom.
Suzanne French Military Cemetery No 1, near the Chateau of Suzanne, containing the graves of one soldier from the United Kingdom, one from Australia, 255 French and one German.
Tincourt German Cemetery, near the German hospitals to the South-West of the village. It was used in the summer of 1918, and it contained the graves of 13 soldiers from the United Kingdom, three from Canada and one from Australia.
Vraignes Churchyard, in which three soldiers from the United Kingdom were buried by the enemy in March and April, 1918.
Vraignes Communal German Cemetery Extension in which one British and 117 German soldiers were buried5.

 

Footnotes
1The photograph of Tincourt New British Cemetery is from the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. (http://www.cwgc.org)
21911 Census - Piece 1244 RD434 SD4 ED1 Schedule 44 - Main Street, Chilwell, Notts. Apparent previous places of residence can be tracked based on their children's birth places : Sydney (b. 1905, Breaston, Derbys), Ruth (b. 1907), Samuel (b. 1909 Long Eaton, Derbys) and Ethel b. 1911 Radford, Notts)
3This address is given for his widow in the Commonwealth War Graves Commission records. His parents are there described as "of Nottingham"
4The account of the battle is based on "The Blast of War" - a History of Nottingham’s Bantams, 15th (Service) Battalion Sherwood Foresters, 1915-1919 by Maurice Bacon and David Langley. (Published by Sherwood Press Nottingham Ltd, 1986).
5The desciption of Tincourt New British Cemetery is based on that on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website. (http://www.cwgc.org)

Return to Top of Page